A few things out there today:
- Matt Harrison has been shut down for the season. Apparently, his back isn't as strong as originally hoped, leading to some mechanical flaws in his delivery. Less than a week after we learned that Colby Lewis will also be out for the season, this is just another blow on the injury front. Neftali Feliz and Nick Tepesch are also currently sidelined with injuries of their own, and no indication of when they'll return.
- Texas has optioned Engel Beltre to AAA Round Rock to make room for Adam Rosales on the active roster. I'm still not sure exactly how Rosales fits in other than to keep him away from the A's, but I'm also not entirely comfortable with the idea of a utility player -- a role that Jurickson Profar already fills -- totally removing Beltre and his speed from the lineup.
- The Rangers open up a quick two-game home series against the Milwaukee Brewers tonight. Alexi Ogando will take the mound once again, and the Rangers need him to step up. No longer having the option of filling the spot with either Colby Lewis or Matt Harrison, Ogando will need to go out every fifth day and at least keep the Rangers in the game. Can he do it? Sure. Will he? Let's just say I've got about as much confidence in that as Ogando has in his fastball (which is to say, not a whole heck of a lot).
- Texas has released Manny Ramirez from his minor league deal, to the surprise of no one. Ramirez reportedly didn't show much of anything during his time in Round Rock, and you wonder if this sheds some light on the confidence the Rangers have that Lance Berkman can come back this season and contribute some value.
- Apparently, Jon Daniels will be getting a haircut if the Rangers extend the current winning streak to 10 games. The style? A Ron Washington cut. So hey, there's that.