Are you resigned to the Rangers being awful? Are you really?
- These Rangers really are awful right now, and it shows in the way the team is conducting its business. I'm usually hesitant to question "effort", "want", or whatever it is you want to call it, but it really seemed like a missed pop-up in foul territory by Elvis Andrus and a dropped fly ball in RF by Alex Rios were pretty indicative of where some guys are at right now. I'd like to think that the All-Star break will help, but when you're the worst team in baseball, I'm not really sure how much it helps or simply prolongs the agony.
- Other than just a lack of focus/effort, Colby Lewis wasn't exactly great either. There's not much left to say about him that hasn't been said, but it makes me sad that this is now what Colby has become.
- Matt West made his Major League debut tonight, going 2.0 innings while allowing no runs on no hits or walks. So, that was cool.
- Chris Gimenez also pitched an inning tonight. Even he pitched better than most of the current Rangers rotation. I'm not sure I want to say anything more on that.
- Jake Smolinski is providing an offensive spark right now that was, I'll admit, unexpected to me. He went 3-for-4 with two doubles and 3 RBI tonight, bringing his small-sample-size average up to .571. I suppose if the Rangers want to see what he's got down the stretch, they could give him an opportunity, and perhaps look to paint a clearer picture of what the 2015 outfield -- including the 4th outfielder spot -- may look like.
- It's nice that the offense has been somewhat on track in recent games, but you won't be winning many games when your starter is giving up 11 earned runs. Sometimes when you're losing, even when you're right, you're wrong. I think this is a case of that.
- Adrian Beltre was also 3-for-4, bringing his average up to .341, and making it 14 straight games he's managed to have a hit. He is, for now, your batting leader.
- Apparently there is a team meeting going on right now, perhaps involving Ron Washington letting his guys have it. There has been no media availability as of yet, so the speculation is that there is a meeting currently underway. I'd like to think that somehow, Michael Young has made his way in to inject some #leadership. I kid, of course.