Half-price Papa John's tomorrow plus a series win before even playing the finale? I'll take it.
- Derek Holland was today's starting pitcher. 6 innings on 90 pitches with no runs given up. 4 hits, no walks. No strikeouts. So, more of the same from a pitching staff that is somehow managing to navigate tough lineups without solid peripherals.
- Rougned Odor is such a fun player to watch. He started off the Texas half of the 1st inning with a double down the left field line. He ended up scoring on a Prince Fielder double, giving Texas an early 1-0 lead.
- The bats really came alive in the bottom of the 3rd inning. The catalyst was yet another double by Odor. The big blow was Mitch Moreland's 3-run blast to right field that gave the Rangers a 7-0 advantage, thereby activating RANGERS7 with Papa John's tomorrow. Way to go, Mitch.
- Derek Holland probably could have continued into the 7th inning, but Jeff Banister wanted to get the bullpen some work. Tom Wilhelmsen worked the 7th, Tony Barnette the 8th, with each giving up only one hit.
- Weird moment in the top of the 2nd inning on the hit that Wilhelmsen gave up. Cole Calhoun tripled on a ball that got by Delino DeShields. DeShields was clearly crouched over in center field, and I thought he looked hurt. No one on the broadcast ever mentioned it, though, and Delino didn't come out of the game, so I'm not sure what the deal was there.
- Phil Klein worked the 9th inning, and looking to preserve a shutout, was unable to do so. He ended up giving up a solo home run to Albert Pujols and an RBI single to C.J. Cron. So, no shutout, but still a 7-2 victory.
- The Rangers will go for a series sweep tomorrow at 2:05 PM. The Rangers get Cole Hamels back against Garrett Richards for the Angels.